Sunday 10 July 2011

Spoilt Lincolnian Child & the best of the last 6 months

Funny thing music lists.  Usually end up looking a bit silly a few years down the line as most of these can verify. Either you get it totally wrong or the information is about as inspiring as a Reef reunion. 
My current art concerns the manipulation of banal band information (often discographies/gigographies) creating a new language that is mostly unreadable but still with enough data to make for an interactive spectacle for an audience. These lists are intended to reflect my own concerns with modern social networking and the seemingly impenetrable mush of unnecessary internet nostalgia. However, I am as immersed in internet culture as the rest of us, so until I find a way out I guess I'll continue to pour over missed gigs, Britpop trivia and the setlist of Leeds Festival 2002 and wish I had have chosen to watch Aphex Twin OR Ladytron OR the White Stripes OR ANYTHING ELSE other than Feeder that Friday night.
Who cares what your top ten Fall songs are anyway?










A Snowflake Arrangement of every Stone Roses Concert I Never went to 








Alas, like the beloved internet, too much has already been said so I will keep it brief.  In no more than 5 words (ish) here is a list of my top 10 albums of the year at the midpoint with handy little links:




THE HORRORS
 : SKYING
Total-fucking-clever-clogs-goths

RINGO DEATHSTARR : COLOR TRIP
Sounding ‘refreshingly’ like Loveless 2011

Mogwai: are Slint. . . Again. GREAT.”

WHITE HILLS: H-P 1
“LADIES. GENTLEMEN. PSYCHEDELICING. SPACE. (MEN3).”

HAWK & A HACKSAW : CERVATINE
“Is ‘gypsy-folk two words?”

Like a clinically depressed CAN” (Not me, Stewart Lee)

Pain. Pain. Never Again.” Lovely

CATS EYES : CATS EYES
love affair of the decade?

Sonic Mary Dinosaur Chain Youth

TRANSEPT : TRANSEPT
Norwich folk drone Fuzz Buttons

And if the list were longer (and in no more than two words) it would also include Echo Lake (Cocteau-Triplets), Esben & the Witch (glorious gloom), Metronomy (seaside bop), Explosions in the Sky (Softly LOUD), the Suede reissues (Britpop Nitrate) and if there has been another Fall album released that I may have missed.

Finally, in no more than one word the last 6 months has seen renewed interest/new found love for Spacemen3 Reccurring (COCK), Boo Radleys Everything’s Alright Forever  (PISS) and Pulp Different Class (PARTRIDGE).

So if I were you and weren’t me and had just over a hundred quid knocking about, I would go and buy the lot. Or at least make a list of every Oasis song that mentions the weather.  Then put it online for all to see. Forever.

Sammy
www.sammymerry.com


An Arrangement of Everyone and Everything that appears on the cover of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band















An Arrangement of Every Mogwai song recorded up to March 2011






No comments:

Post a Comment