Thursday 15 December 2011

Velvet Owl Best Albums 2011


Having celebrated our 1st birthday, seen the launch of the Norwich Velvet Owl and sang, danced and stroked our beards at some fine gigs, it's now that time of year when I ask the Collective to list the five albums that have been regular bedfellows with their record player. From shoegaze revivalists to the return of Americana's prodigal son, 2011 has thrown out some cracking new records to help comfort us during these dark and foreboding economic times.

  1. Yuck – Yuck
  2. Metronomy – The English Riviera
  3. Bon Iver – Bon Iver
  4. My Morning Jacket – Circuital
  5. The Low Anthem – Smart Flesh
  6. Ryan Adams – Ashes and Fire
  7. PJ Harvey – Let England Shake
  8. Gruff Rhys – Hotel Shampoo
  9. Wild Beasts – Smother
  10. Other Lives – Tamer Animals
  11. The Antlers – Burst Apart
  12. Okkervil River – I am Very Far
  13. The Civil Wars – Barton Hollow
  14. Lykki Li – Wounded Rhymes
  15. Laura Marling – A Creature I Don’t Know
  16. Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues
  17. King Creosote & John Hopkins – Diamond Mine
  18. Anna Calvi – Anna Calvi
  19. Young the Giant – Young the Giant
  20.  White Denim - D

2 comments:

  1. Writing as I am from the Norwich Owl headquarters, I felt I had to comment on the above list. Impossible to publish a Norwich equivalent (don't think our members have bought twenty albums between them this year), but if I could, I would hope it would be a little less "Green Man" than this one. Any of you aware Arctic Monkeys had an album out this year? Ever heard of The Horrors? Putting this list together must have caused a mass outbreak of beard stroking, even among you ladies present. Let's try a little more pop in 2012, eh guys?
    Merry Christmas to you all.

    Chris (and I'm up for a fight, if any of you fancy it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar tastes to my own blog. Thought you might like to take a look. Found your blog via a #ff from Heart on Sleeve music. Yuck played Cork (where I live) at a festival last Summer and I couldn't go because of a stag weekend. Great weekend but boy was I annoyed...

    http://www.thegmanworld.com/p/g-man-album-of-year-2011-50-11.html

    ReplyDelete